Bringing your family to the United States (The I-130)

Most immigrants who come to the United States—whether it’s alone or with members of their family—dream of eventually having the whole household together in one place. A Family Immigration Lawyer, like Daphne Hankins, can help. She’ll work to help make the American dream a reality. If you have any questions about Family-Based Petitions or Family Immigration Services, Attorney Daphne Hankins can assist you and make sure you have everything you need to get the U.S. family immigration process started.

U.S. Family Immigration Services for Immediate Family Members

Although there are options for non-immediate family members, it’s easier for immediate members of the household to gain permanent resident status. This includes:

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Unmarried children of U.S. citizens who are under 21 years old
  • Parents of U.S. citizens (Keep in mind that the petitioning citizen must be 21 or older.)

Visas are always available for immediate relatives of United States residents. This means your family member will not have to wait in line for a visa. Immediate relatives who are already in the United States can file Form I-485, or an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, while they file a Form I-130. If the person petitioning is abroad, they may choose consular processing instead. If you have any questions about this process, contact Daphne Hankins at She’s been helping immigrants and their families understand the family immigration process and obtain the documentation they need for a happy life in the United States.

An attorney that’s there for you and your family, every step of the way

Obtaining an I-130 Visa can be a difficult process. If it’s done incorrectly you could be waiting for weeks or even months. That’s why it’s important to have a family immigration lawyer who knows the U.S. Green Card application process and can step in should any problems arise. Contact Daphne Hankins, Attorney and member of the American Immigration Legal Association, if you have any questions.